11/13/08

The Holy Holiday - Thanksgiving


My friends laugh at me because I love Thanksgiving more than Christmas. I think it's because I have always loved food and any excuse to enjoy a good meal. And -I love that we have a whole holiday set aside to remind us to GIVE THANKS. No Christmas decorations, Christmas music, etc. allowed until after the BIG holiday.

Only two weeks to Thanksgiving! At our house, the night before the big day, we have PIE NIGHT. I love pie. This year will mark it's 10th year anniversary. We invite our neighbors and family and eat pie. Just pie. I read an article back in 1998 about a lady who thought pie wasn't appreciated enough - and thought pie deserved it's own day. She makes pies for a month before the holiday and freezes them. She lines up high chairs along one wall in her kitchen, and invites all of her family over. I thought it was a great idea - giving pie it's own day, but making pies for everyone and freezing them?? Wouldn't it be great to have a huge pie smorgasbord? Have everyone bring their own favorite creation? On the day of PIE NIGHT, I make about 8 or 9 pies- each person in our immediate family gets to choose their favorite, and I make a few more crowd favorites. This year I'm making: Apple, Apple Cranberry, Pecan, Blueberry, Chocolate, Key Lime, Pumpkin and some other cream pie. Usually, about 100 people attend . Everyone who comes brings their family and a pie, and we eat until we are all on the verge of a sugar coma.
So, now that I have babbled on about Thanksgiving, I will get posting. In the next few days I'll post tried and true recipes we use at Thanksgiving. Hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I can't handle this. I am going to miss pie night this year. I was thinking about what pie I would make and then realized I will be in AZ. I am soo sad. I love pie night, especially with you!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...