11/16/08

My My My, My Key Lime Pie





Yummy home made graham cracker crust


Icky store bought graham cracker crust


Don't you love that Kenny Chesney song? When my kids were little, I used to tell them Kenny Chesney was my old boyfriend, but I blew him off, so I could marry Grant. Anyway, if you haven't heard that song, look it up, and get the ingredients together to make this pie.
Key Lime is always a favorite at PIE NIGHT. The first time I ate really yummy key lime pie, we were in Florida. See the last photo I posted (not my pic). It looks fine, as far as the filling and limes go... the crust- it's one of those AWFUL store bought graham cracker crusts that have been pulverized then pressed into a flimsy disposable aluminum pan. Take a few minutes, make this crust and filling, and you will think you have died and gone to key lime pie heaven. The crust is buttery and sweet, with a little hint of cinnamon. Filling is smooth,creamy, tart and sweet. I like a little fresh whipped cream on key lime pie. In my opinion, which you know I'm gonna share, meringue belongs on lemon pie. Not on lime, never on chocolate. Try this in a Springform pan, and top with whipped cream and lime slices. Oh, and don't ever, ever add green food coloring to the filling. That's sick.


My, My, My, My Key Lime Pie
printable recipe

2 cups graham cracker crumbs, crushed with a food processor
(about 1 ½ packages)
1/3 cup butter melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix together in a large bowl. Press onto bottom and 1” up the sides a 9” greased spring form pan or a pie plate. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Cool.

3 large eggs, separated
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup key lime juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lime peel
2 tablespoons sugar
1-2 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla

Whisk egg yolks; add condensed milk and next three ingredients. Beat egg whites until foamy with mixer. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar beating until soft peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture, spoon into prepared crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until set. Cover and chill for 4- 8 hours. Beat whipping cream until stiff. Add sugar and vanilla.


**Key lime juice is found next to the lemon juice. Not plain lime juice, KEY lime juice.

2 comments:

  1. OK-I love that pie too, but had no idea I was making it with the wrong juice. What a waste of all those years-"sigh".
    No wait, SI-thanks again for saving the rest of my cooking career.
    Love Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Best key lime pie we have ever eaten was at
    Kutchie's Key West down in North Carolina. We
    stopped there while on vacation a few years back.
    Key lime pie is my husbands favorite, he said that
    pie was the best one yet. We tried to get the recipe but was unsuccessful in doing so. Do you think that you guys could get it for us?
    Thanks, Mary Beth Couric

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...