2/19/09

Blueberry-Raspberry Banana Muffins




This recipe is adapted from the book - "Chocolate Snowball". It's a beautiful cookbook written by a Letty Flatt, the Pastry Chef at Deer Valley Lodge in Utah. She is a talented writer, chef and also teaches cooking school.
Last week I bought some plump little blueberries at Costco. They were a little on the tart side for topping cereal, but perfect for muffins and pancakes. Tonight I used up the rest of my berries in this yummy berry-banana muffin recipe. I'm sure it would be delish with raspberries. SO good hot out of the oven. If you love the whole tart/sweet thing, you'll love these. Did you know there is a National Blueberry Muffin Day? True. July 11th. I don't make this stuff up.



Blueberry-Raspberry Banana Muffins

For Muffins:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup blueberries, raspberries or blackberries- fresh or frozen

For Butter Streusel Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, softened

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat muffin pans generously with cooking spray or grease with shortening, or line with paper cupcake liners.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt, set aside. Whisk the butter and dark brown sugar in a large bowl, then whisk in the eggs. Add the bananas, milk and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients all at once, stirring just until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. Quickly fold in the berries. Divide into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with butter streusel. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Cool for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan.
Make about 12 muffins.

Tips:
-I used two ripe, spotted peel bananas and one banana that had a completely black peel.
- The recipe says it yields 12 muffins, but I ended up with almost 2 dozen regular sized muffins. -The streusel makes the muffins.

6 comments:

  1. I'm ratting Si out.... Si ate 4 of these muffins in one sitting...It was her dinner. That's how good and moist they are.

    What happened to sharing?

    I hope this recipe is "easy peasy Japanesy!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness, National Blueberry Day is on my birthday! How did I not know this all these years? Big blueberry pie and ice cream celebration this year, that's for sure. Si, are you sure you don't make this stuff up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the slice of cake!! It was oh so DIVINE! It was the perfect treat during my 'pity party weekend' I'd started. Even the heartburn (I'm pregnant) is worth it. YUM YUM YUM! Thanks again-I LOVE your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melwel- last time I confide in you!! easy peasy...you are a nut.
    Peggy- Now you know what im giving you for your bd.
    Tiffany- you're welcome! Ahhh- I remember those heart burn days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Si, I was wondering if I could use your Giant Ginger Cookie recipe for a cookbook I am putting together? I really like your adaptation! Just let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney- You are welcome to use any of my recipes! I just looked at your caramel apples...yummy. Too bad I didn't see those sooner. Are you making them year round, or just holiday time? email me at Fostersi@msn.com
    love,
    Si

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...