6/8/09

Spinach Herb Twists





Don't you love breads with fillings? Spinach and cheese are two of my favorite fillings in bread. These little spinach twists are really simple. Don't roll your eyes. I'm serious. This recipe even includes a roll mix instead of making your own roll dough. When I mixed up a batch of these last week, I followed the recipe, and used a roll mix. Warning- long rant about using mixes: I'm not sure using a roll mix really simplifies this recipe all that much. It's kind of like using a brownie mix. I grew up on Duncan Hines Brownie mixes. My mom NEVER, ever made brownies from scratch. And I loved those brownies. I forgave her, because she didn't know better. She never baked until she came to the U.S. when she was 33 years old. Good excuse. I know what you're thinking - it takes so much longer to bake from scratch. Really, how much longer does it take to make a good home made brownie?? Some day I'm going to have a timed bake off, a home made next to a boxed. The finished product is SO much better with home made - are you willing to compromise your integrity as a cook by using a box?? :) Sorry, I had to add that for my cooking impaired friends. It's not like I never use a boxed mix. When I bake cupcakes for a bunch of kids, I use boxed. I have several recipes that call for a mix with lots of other goodies added. I'm okay with that. But really- rolls, brownies, cookies?? No contest.
I've made this recipe both ways, with the roll mix, and with one of my favorite roll recipes. And I have to say - it's not a big deal to use the roll mix. Not a big difference between the finished product- home made or from a box. So cheat away. Use a box. Your secret is safe with me.


This is how they look just before baking...


Spinach Herb Twists

1- 13 3/4 oz. package hot roll mix (any reputable brand, I used "Lion House Roll Mix" found at Deseret Book, but have also used other brands)
1/2 pound fresh spinach or 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
2 green onions, thinly sliced white and green part
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Prepare the roll mix as directed through first rising. Cut fresh spinach into bite size pieces; steam spinach 4 minutes or just until limp. Drain well and set aside. Chop the green onion, place in bowl with the drained chopped spinach. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the butter.
Grease a baking sheet.
After the dough has risen the first time, divide the dough in half and roll out onto a lightly floured surface into a 10 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread half of the butter over the dough. Spread half of the filling over dough. Fold dough in half lengthwise to make a 5x10 inch rectangle. Cut into 10-12 1 inch strips. As you lift the strips to the baking sheet, twist them a few times. Twist remaining strips and place all on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. When all of the dough is filled and shaped, cover both pans with dishtowel, and set aside for about 20-30 minutes to let raise again. Bake in 375 degree oven for about 15 minuets, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter after removing from oven.

Tips:
-A pizza cutter works well when cutting up the strips of dough.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... I wonder if I could get my kids to eat spinach this way?! That would be awesome - especially for my toddler since he really needs the iron. They look beautiful1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with your blog. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey "PheMom" just thought I'd let you know, your kid will eat this. It's WONDERFUL. I didn't even know it was spinach! Si, I'm coming over. I'm getting hungry. ha :) I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lar, I'll make a few extra for you next time i cook a batch. love you.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...