9/4/09

Apple and Cabbage Slaw



I never used to like coleslaw. Memories from childhood are of KFC dinners my Dad brought home -complete with mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls and soupy slaw. Ick. Years later, I ate coleslaw at a restaurant, and loved it! This grown up slaw was sweet and crunchy and had fruit mixed in with the cabbage. Here is my version. A must for a standard Labor Day bbq dinner.




Apple and Cabbage Slaw

1/2 large head cabbage (or 1 1/2 bags of coleslaw mix)
2 large carrots, grated (omit if using bagged mix)
1-2 apples, I like Fuji washed, cored, cut into chunks ( peel on)
1/3 cup Golden Raisins (more or less depending-if you are a raisin lover)
1/4 cup Craisins (optional)
3/4 cup Mayonnaise (not light)
1/4 cup Cider Vinegar
2-3 Tablespoons sugar
3 tsp celery seed

Wash and chop cabbage. Place cabbage in large bowl. Add carrots, apples, golden raisins, and Craisins. In separate bowl, mix the mayo, cider vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. If you like the dressing more tart, add vinegar, a tablespoon at a time. If you like your slaw dressing sweet, add more sugar. When the dressing is mixed well, add the celery seed. Pour the dressing over the cabbage and fruits. This salad is best when chilled for at least an hour.

4 comments:

  1. I've made this recipe many times and LOVE it every time. I'll make it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made so many of your recipes since Christmas, after following a link from Mint Arrow. I love your blog and spam so happy to have found you.

    Made this slaw last week despite it being the dead of winter here in NJ - pregnancy craving probably. It is delicious. I used two tbsp of sugar in the dressing and may go just a tad less next time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *am. Clearly I did not mean "spam" :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...