9/21/09

Perfect Peach Crumble



Peaches for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Peach salsa, peach jam, peaches with cream, peaches with ice cream, peach coffee cake.... I love peaches. You have to work fast when someone gives you a box or two, or five. I know canning peaches would be a good idea. That's what I usually do. I still have a dozen quarts of peaches left over from last year, and some in the freezer, and several jars of jam. Hmmm- brilliant idea. Maybe this year I could just make enough pies and crumble and salsa to share with friends, then I wouldn't have to can this year. Um. It's not working out that way. I feel a little like Lucy in the IL Lucy episode where she and Ethel are working in the chocolate factory - you know what I'm talking about? Instead of chocolates, it's peaches. They just keep ripening. I keep giving them away... keep peeling and cutting, baking and eating. I just can't keep up- you get the picture.
This past summer I found this recipe for Peach Crumble in Cooks Illustrated. It was just as they promised. No runny peach filling. No slimy topping from juicy peaches. Crisp and yummy. Just the right amount of spice, and a topping that was sweet, but not too sweet. I've made 6 of these in the past couple of days. Great result every time. The key is to sugar the peaches and then let them sit (macerate) to draw out the excess juices. The other essential step is to bake the crumble topping before adding to the fruit, then top and bake a second time. The process takes more time than a regular crisp or crumble, but well worth the effort.
Note to self for next year: Canning is a good idea.



Perfect Peach Crumble
Cooks Illustrated

Filling
3 1/2 pounds ripe but firm peaches (6 to 7 medium), peeled and pitted;
each peach halved and cut into 3/4-inch wedges (about 6-7 cups prepared peaches)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Pinch salt
Pinch ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg

Topping
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon (divided)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 6 pieces, softened
1/2 cup pecans

Adjust oven racks to lower and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees.

FOR FILLING: Gently toss peaches and sugar together in large bowl; let stand for 30 minutes, tossing several times. Drain peaches in colander set over large bowl. Whisk 1/4 cup drained peach juice, cornstarch, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in small bowl; discard excess peach juice*. Toss juice mixture with peaches and transfer to 8-inch-square or 9 inch greased pie plate.

TOPPING: While peaches are draining, combine flour, sugars (reserving 1 tablespoon granulated sugar), and salt in work bowl of food processor; drizzle vanilla over top. Pulse to combine mixture. Add butter and half of nuts; process until mixture clumps together about 30 seconds, pausing halfway through to scrape down sides of work bowl. Sprinkle remaining nuts over mixture and combine. Transfer mixture to parchment-lined baking sheet and spread into even layer. Bake on middle rack until lightly browned and firm, 18 to 22 minutes. Remove from oven and break into chunks. Set aside. You can do this early in the day or the day before and store in a sealed bag or plastic container until ready to use.

TO ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: Grasping edges of parchment paper, slide topping over peaches or scoop up by handfuls and distribute over peaches, breaking up any large pieces. Sprinkle remaining tablespoon sugar over top and place on lower oven rack. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake until well browned and fruit is bubbling around edges, 25 to 35 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipping cream.


Tips:

-*Instead of discarding extra peach juice- pour into large glass filled with ice and about 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Fill glass to top with cold water and stir for fresh peach lemonade. Drink while contemplating what to do with all of the peaches sitting on back porch.

11 comments:

  1. I literally just told my husband we need to make a peach crisp before it's too late! I'll have to try this yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is up with the new layout? I mean I like it but really you should have used a picture of your OWN kitchen. I bet this peach crisp is sooo good, it looks sooo good....hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read this post I was thinking, "Yeah, I'm gonna make this! Oh, yeah. It looks so good, I'm SO making it."

    And then I remembered I don't have an oven.

    Snap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This peach crumble sounds so good and I still have a ton of peaches left...I'm going to try it soon! My son made Sara's Salmon tonight-it was DELICIOUS and so easy! Is the 1 T. of dried mustard the right amount??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new layout.....love the peach crisp...and once again, love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be making this tomorrow. Would do it tonight but I don't have the peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the feedback! Danielle at the Design Girl created the new look. She is amazing.
    Yes, Linda 1 Tablespoon of dry mustard is right on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your banner! I felt like I had come to a magazine page or something!

    The crumble looks and seems perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your peach crumble looks so good. Hubby bought some peaches today and I am going to make your peach crumble. Thanks and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I don't own a food processor, can I get away with making the topping by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marhsall,
    Sure you can just mix the ingredients by hand( in a bowl) or use a pastry cutter to combine ingredients if you have one. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...