10/12/09

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies with Lemon Icing







October, month of pumpkin desserts. Blogs, websites and magazines are filled with cookies, pies, breads and cakes made with pumpkin. I like, but don't love pumpkin. And I have a hub who really doesn't care for pumpkin at all . When I made these and handed one to Grant, I asked - what do you think?? He took a huge Grant bite (this consists of eating a three bite cookie in one bite) looked up at me and said in a very matter-of-fact way "I don't like it." My boys burst out laughing. This prompted a discussion (led by ME) on gratitude and being too honest.
Anyway~ I printed out a recipe from joythebaker.com (nice blog, lots of great pics and recipes). Changed a few ingredients, and added a little lemon icing, which the kids weren't crazy about, but I liked a lot. The boys loved the cookies plain. Pumpkin cookies need a little icing. They are just so ...orange. The recipe suggests sprinkling with a little powdered sugar. The ingredients are almost identical to my favorite pumpkin bread recipe. I liked these little cookies and thought they were a great kid treat. Personally, I prefer Orange Pumpkin bread. So does Grant, not that I'm asking...




Pumpkin Chocolate Chips Cookies with Lemon Icing

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips


Positions rack in middle of oven. Preheat to 325 degrees.
Mix all dry ingredients together in bowl, set aside. In another large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until smooth about 1 minute. On low speed, mix in rest of wet ingredients. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add the dry ingredients and the chocolate chips all at once. Mixing just until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. Don't over mix.
Spoon the batter out onto a parchment lined or lightly greased cookie sheet by tablespoons. About 12 cookies per sheet. Bake until the tops feel firm about 10-12 minutes. Cool completely. Frost if desired. Cookies are best when eaten within 2 days.

Lemon Icing:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
dash salt
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons cream or milk to thin
grated lemon zest

Mix all ingredients together in small mixing bowl, whisk or beat with blender until smooth. Frost or drizzle the cookies with icing.

Tips:
-I found a recipe for pumpkin cookies that suggested adding butterscotch chips. I love butterscotch, so I added a cup. The chocolate chips were soft and perfect in the cookies ( I added another cup to equal two cups total to the original recipe), but the butterscotch chips hardened up and didn't have that melt in your mouth quality, unless eaten while still warm. My rec - go with all dark (semi sweet) chocolate chips in this cookie.

2 comments:

  1. okay, these look great. i love the addition of icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THESE ARE THE BEST PUMPKIN COOKIES EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...