3/23/10

Simple Lemon Almond Poppyseed Cake





So remember when we had that talk about using boxed mixes? And I told you I only have a few recipes I like, where I use a box and like the result? This is one. Actually, there are 3 total. But I don't ever post them, bc I think to myself - I'm sure everyone has and uses this recipe.
Guess not.
I ran into my friend Marge the other day (don't you love that name?) at the paint store. Yes, I was buying paint. Not a happy place for me. Let's just say sewing is not my only challenge. Anyway, she asked me if I had a good Lemon Poppy seed recipe, and asked if I would post it ASAP. Super simple, hence the name. Really moist, seriously almost fail proof. The original recipe came with some yawner icing, but adding fresh lemon juice and lots of zest makes this special.
Marge, this one's for you.




Lemon Almond Poppy seed Cake with Fresh lemon Icing
print recipe

Cake ingredients:
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons almond extract
1 cup water
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 package lemon cake mix (I like Duncan Hines)
1 small (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding


Icing ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
Juice from 1-2 lemons (about 1/4 cup juice)
zest from lemons
dash salt
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan.

Cake:
Mix all wet cake ingredients together with mixer until blended . Add dry ingredients, including poppy seeds, mix until all ingredients are blended well, about 3 minutes.

Pour into prepared pan. Bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes, before inverting onto serving platter.
Prepare icing, and frost cake when completely cooled. Serve with fresh strawberries.

Icing:
Melt butter, add to powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest, and salt in bowl. Whisk or beat until smooth. Thin with a little milk, water or lemon juice if too thick.

Tips:
-I use 1-2 lemons depending on the amount of juice extracted and the size of the lemon. You will need about 1/4 cup lemon juice to make the icing spreadable. If using one lemon, only take the zest from one lemon as well. If you want to thin the icing a bit, you may use a little milk.

16 comments:

  1. This is the exact recipe for Poppy-seed Cake my mom always makes. It turns out so moist and delicious every time. We never put icing on it as we like it just as well without!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie and I made this today. We loved the cake, but have a question about the frosting. We only used one lemon and it was too sugary, would the juice of two lemons have made the difference? Also, it didn't cover the whole cake? Oh well. We still ate two pieces each... Thanks for the recipe. Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K ~ definately going to try this one. I love cooking from boxes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake reminds me of Springtime! I'll be making it SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon in breads and pastries always give me that refreshing boost! I'd love to try this one

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how I like the lemon! This is one of the few times when you tell me the recipe is simple and then it ACTUALLY IS.

    I may even try it. I'm not so sure about purchasing poppy seeds, though. I'm scared. Yeah, I don't know why, just am.

    My grandma's name is Marge. Yes, it's a great name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing what recipes bring so many comments!
    Tiffany and Mel, I'm not sure why you didn't have enough frosting for the whole cake? Last time I made this, I used the juice from two lemons, but other times I have just used juice from one...I always thin it a bit with milk, if I need to as well (I'll add this adjustment) . It's not a thick layer of icing, as you can see. You should have had more than enough to frost the top. hmmm. Maybe too many tastings before frosting?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot wait to try this. Lemon poppy seed is my sons favorite flavor, and the addition of almond will add a nice light flavor-thank you!

    Jules
    alittlebiteoflife.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this recipe and made it yesterday.... Everyone loved it. Thank you so much. It was a great cake! I am not a huge lemon person, so next time I think I'll just use a vanilla icing, but the cake is just divine!!!! So springy and refreshing especially with the berries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Si!!

    My sister Sarah told me about your blog, it is so darling. Thank you for sharing your talent with us. I am so excited to cook your food. Thank you thank you!! I have missed seeing you since I moved!

    Jenny Rigby Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just happened upon your blog, from the Key Ingredient Blogroll, posted on another blog, and your blog is awesome! I will be back, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looooooove lemon poppyseed cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always skeptical of any recipe with a boxed cake as well, but like you I have a few that I love. This sounds great and it's "doctored up" nicely. I think I am going to have to give it a try! Great blog- I just joined Utah Hive and found you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Si, I made this yesterday for our Easter dessert-everyone LOVED it!
    I was surprised there was so much almond extract in it, but I guess that's one of the things that made it SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh.my.gosh.

    Saw this when you posted it and instantly wanted to make it.. but like someone up there, I guess the thought of buying poppyseeds intimidated me. I finally made this tonight at my sister's and oh.my.gosh. it was *divine* Some of their relatives from out of state were staying over and they said it was amazing and just fantastic."The best cake I've ever had" I agree. I'll post all about it tomorrow on my blog. Of course I took pics;) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made this last week. Perfect recipe! Has stayed moist for a week. I would make no changes except that I would go easier on the lemon juice in my icing next time since my icing was thin but I didn't want to add anymore sugar. Still tasted incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...