3/3/10

Tried and True CC Cookies








So.
A week ago Sunday, we started the week with 5 pounds of butter in the fridge.
Yes, 5 pounds.
Now, most normal people would have to freeze some of that unsalted butter, in order to not let it spoil before using. Note the words "normal people". Three days later, there was not a cube of butter to be found in our house. It began with the 8 PM Sunday night ritual of cc cookie making and baking.


Why choc chip?
1. I always have all of the ingredients.
2. It's a treat I can throw together in less than 5 minutes, without looking at the recipe.
3. We can have a batch of cookies mixed, baked and cooled in about 30 minutes or less. 
Important when your kid says - " Mom, can we make cookies after dinner to take to _____?? " (insert friend who needs cookies, or a girl/guy you want to find an excuse to visit on Sunday night)- Translation: Mom, can you make some cookies for me? FAST.
Almost every time we give away cookies, a recipe request follows.
It's the Toll House recipe. Right on the back of the package.
No, it's not.
Yes, it is.
No, It's not.
Serious. Okay, a couple of slight changes. So here it is, by popular demand, the ever famous Tried and True Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, with modifications, step by step photos and secret recipe hints. Wink, wink. Let me know how they turn out for you.


Step 1 - Throw the slightly soft butter into the bowl. Start beating.


2- Add the sugars, beat some more.


3- Eggs, throw them both in, add the vanilla, beat again. Don't over beat. 
Are you wondering how many times I can use the word "beat" in this post?


4- It should look like this. Should be smooth, sweet.
FYI- rule in cc cookie making - taste it. Now.
Salmonella - pfshhhh.



5- Throw in all of the dry ingredients (less 1/2 cup of the flour), along with the choc chips.



6- Mix. No beating. More like folding at this point.
LOW speed. For 5 seconds, maybe 10. Add the rest of the flour.
Look at the bottom of the mixing bowl. Stop mixing when flour disappears.


7- Scoop.


8- Big scoops are good. 6 per pan.


9- Beautiful convection baked cookie.



The next cookie was baked using the same batch of dough, same time as the cookie above....


10- Inferior step sister cookie. aka- cookie baked in standard oven.
Sweet on the inside, but not quite as beautiful on the outside.






Tried and True Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from Nestle Toll House Cookie recipe)
print recipe

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour* (make sure to read note below) (updated 5/2013)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (not margarine), softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups  or 1 (12-oz. pkg.) chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 375° F. If using convection, preheat to 375 as well.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, beating well. Stir in flour mixture and chocolate chips all together, taking care to not over mix. Using a cookie scoop, drop onto ungreased baking sheets. I use a large scoop, and place 6 cookies per baking sheet. Flatten slightly with palm of your hand.
Bake for 7-10 minutes on middle rack until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets completely.
This recipe yields 18 large cookies.

Tips:
(or my mini-epistle on cc cookie making & baking)
Updated with more detail, and the amount of flour I always use- 2 3/4 cups.  The original recipe said:
 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups flour . 
-Only use butter. Unsalted is best. The butter should be more firm than room temperature butter. I take it straight out of the refridge, and microwave it for about 20 seconds.
-*Our altitude is about 4,400 ft. So, I use about 2 3/4 cups flour total. The original recipe calls for 2 1/4 cups. If you are at sea level, you will probably need less flour.
-Don't over beat the butter sugar mixture, or the batter will become too soft, and your cookies will not be beautiful and puffy. They will resemble pancakes. 
-Don't sift the flour.
-There is a notable difference between using a convection and a standard oven (see pics above). If you bake at the same temperature, for the same amount of time, the convection cookie will be done, with a beautiful, golden, slightly crispy outer layer. Still soft on the inside. And it will be taller than the cookie baked in a standard oven. Not everyone has a convection oven- if you don't, you can still bake a great cookie using a standard oven.
-I think two of the biggest mistakes made while baking cookies are:
1-Over mixing. This will cause the batter have too much air incorporated, producing a fluffy, instead of a chewy cookie.
2- Over baking. Under baking is good! Not under baked to the point the cookie is doughy, but just until the top sets, and the dough looks like it has a bit of a crust.
-Chocolate chips - For semi sweet, I use Nestle Semi Sweet chips. You can't go wrong here. But for Milk Chocolate, we prefer Guittard. The chips are bigger. I think they are called Maxi Chips.
- High Altitude info: Not recommended-directions on Nestle Choc Chip package for high altitude- I have tried this variation, and don't like the result. The cookies aren't quite sweet enough, and have a crispy more cake like texture. Here are the directions on the package: (again I do NOT recommend using this method, but have printed it here as an FYI)  Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups. Add 2 teaspoons water with flour and reduce both granulated sugar and brown sugar to 2/3 cup each. Bake drop cookies for 8 to 10 minutes and pan cookie for 17 to 19 minutes.
-Last tip. Mound the cookie into a ball. I make them about the size of a golf ball. I use a cookie scoop, because it's easier for me. For years, I just used a spoon, and then shaped them by hand. Make sure to flatten the cookie just a bit before baking.


15 comments:

  1. I love finding the best recipe of a traditional food like chocolate chip cookies. I tried the NY Times recipe and loved it. I will have to try your also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these on Sunday and they were amazing! I accidentally used 1/2 the butter and added a little milk to make it moist and it was still yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted this because it leads me to my all-time greatest baking dilemma: I am a good cook and a really good baker. No false modesty here, I can handle it. I scour blogs and cookbooks all the time for cc cookie recipes and try them all. Some are good, some lousy, but people always recommend this Nestle original recipe and I've had nothing but HORRIBLE results every time I've made them!

    My cookies always come out paper thin, almost see-through, crispy on the edges and doughy in the middles; sort of like a puddle studded with chocolate chips. I've never added more flour for the altitude (I'm in Utah like you) so that could be it, and I have a standard oven. Still, is something else wrong? Could it be my baking sheets? They're the standard insulated ones with ridges and look just like yours in the pics. Also, I use Silpats on each of my sheets instead of parchment. I think I once read that Silpats alter the cookie in some way when you bake, but I didn't think in a bad way. Maybe I'm wrong.

    I'd love your thoughts, and darn it, I wish I had convection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TTLG: There are specific high altitude adjustments on the package (or online) you may want to try. It calls for adding flour, and reducing the sugars to 1/3 cup each. Also adding a bit of liquid. If you do nothing but add flour, I guarantee you will have better results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate chip cookies are the best, you can't go wrong. yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Si- I read this and thought of another recipe which is a must must must for CCC. My sister found this recipe and then altered it. They're originally called like $250 Cookies but they're so good we renamed them Million Dollar Cookies. I asked her to email me the recipe so here it is. you must must must try. They are divine.

    Million dollar cookies

    2 c butter, softened
    2 c sugar
    2 c brown sugar
    4 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla
    5 c blended oatmeal (measure 5 c then put in food processor or blender to make into a fine powder)
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 c semi sweet choc chips
    6 hershey bars, grated (last time I made this I used some heath bars and some hershey bars, you don't have to use 6, you can use less)

    preheat oven to 375

    cream together butter and sugars. add eggs and vanilla. mix together with flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and oatmeal. add grated hershey bars and choc chips. roll into balls, place 2 inches apart on baking sheet. bake 10 min.

    **can roll balls, place on wax paper to freeze then place in freezer bag. when ready to bake, place in refrigerator to thaw, may need to bake dough for 11 min when dough is refrigerated.

    or just eat the cookie dough after it is frozen, it is best that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmmmmm those do look oh so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lis, I have this recipe - the famous Neiman Marcus cookie recipe. I like your modified name. They are yummy. Haven't made them in years. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I now know why after 25 years moving from no altitude (Ohio, Indiana, CA) to Utah, why my cookies aren't "picture perfect". No convection oven. I'm going with that explanation for not baking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVED your post about the cookies, my friend. Loved. Can't wait to bake now. . .
    AND, I looked up the NY Times cookies that one of your readers talked about ( I love how your readers now are almost all people that I don't recognize in the least because your blog deserves WORLD-WIDE DOMINATION. Si rules.)

    ANYway--looked up the NY Times cookie and article. Whoa. Two surprising things:

    1. They suggest that the dough rest in the fridge for 24 to 36 hours, as this gives it, particularly the egg, time to meld. (And, apparently, this is what the original Toll House people did as well.)

    2. Sea salt sprinkled on top.

    oh, I guess 3 surprising things:

    3. Chocolate discs rather than chips, as it gives it a 'ribbon of chocolate' effect.

    Here's the recipe (which I'm sending to your email rather than post it on your blog, as I'm not sure what etiquette is about posting different recipes :) But, I'll send this comment to the blog if you want it there)

    Love you!
    Barbara

    RECIPE
    Chocolate Chip Cookies
    SIGN IN TO RECOMMEND
    TWITTER
    SIGN IN TO E-MAIL OR SAVE THIS
    PRINT
    REPRINTS
    SHARE

    Published: July 9, 2008
    Adapted from Jacques Torres
    Related
    Perfection? Hint: It’s Warm and Has a Secret (July 9, 2008)

    Time: 45 minutes (for 1 6-cookie batch), plus at least 24 hours’ chilling
    2 cups minus 2 tablespoons
    (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour
    1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
    2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
    1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
    1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks or fèves, at least 60 percent cacao content (see note)
    Sea salt.

    1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
    2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
    3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
    4. Scoop 6 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. Eat warm, with a big napkin.
    Yield: 1 1/2 dozen 5-inch cookies.
    Note: Disks are sold at Jacques Torres Chocolate; Valrhona fèves, oval-shaped chocolate pieces, are at Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure that I'll try your recipe soon. It looks so mmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me again. Just wanted to let you know I received a few of the cookies Barb mentioned above - special delivery hot from her oven! They were really delish. Here's my review: If you want to make a special cookie, yes, these are wonderful. A little on the salty side. I like salt, and love the chocolate salt combo, but my guess is they are a little salty (11/2 tsp in the batter plus baking soda, and more sea salt on top) for the average cookie lover's taste buds. Last week, I made tried and true cc cookies for a group and someone comment on the too salty flavor of my recipe, this recipe would have put them over the edge. In comparison, when looking at the recipe, bread flour, cake flour, special chocolate, chilling, all of the steps are, in my opinion more fuss than I am willing to take to make cc cookies. Also 18-20 minutes at 350? hmmm-seems a little long. That said, if you really love cc cookies, and are a patient person, you should give the NY Times recipe a try. My fave part about the NYT recipe was the larger chocolate "chips" or "ribbon of chocolate" effect. Let us know what you think! Thanks Miss Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you have ever frozen the dough and put in balls do you put them straight in the oven or let them thaw while oven is preheating? Love to have these in the freezer
    Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you really use 1 Tablespoon vanilla? Or is that a misprint? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...