4/19/10

Tinker's Fresh Strawberry Bread







Tinker is a long time family friend of Tessa and Emily. The four of us started Recipe Club way back in January of 1995. Tinker is a mom of two beautiful children, world traveler, art collector, eclectic decorator, has a serious china fetish, is a successful professional, and an amazing cook. Over the years the members of our Recipe Club have been the recipients of dozens of her dishes. Some of her grandmother's tried and true, some of her own creations, along with magazine and cookbook adventures.
Love this Fresh Strawberry Bread she made a few years ago. If you're looking for a fresh change from the same old quick bread recipes, you'll love this. Nothing says spring like strawberries and lemon.
My motto: If you bake it, it will come.




Tinker's Fresh Strawberry Bread

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups sugar ( I use 1 brown and 1 white) any combo will work
3 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup vegetable oil
grated rind of 1 lemon
3 cups chopped strawberries
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8 inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar. Stir. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla, oil and lemon rind. Spoon the strawberries into the liquid ingredients and stir gently to coat the fruit. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and nuts. Fold (with spatula by hand) until all ingredients are blended.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow loaves to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool.

Tips:
-I omitted the nuts, and baked the loaves for about 55 minutes.
-If the loaves are browning too much, lay a sheet of foil over the loaves until done.

11 comments:

  1. mmmm this pregnancy has been all about the berries for me. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Strawberry bread....thanks berrry much for all of your delicious treats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. si! you know how to get to a man's heart! My mouth waters as I look at your blog, then I pour a bowl of cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! What a great idea to put strawberries in bread, definitely one I will be trying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never ever had strawberry bread before, but I think I might just have to now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this! YUM! Such a nice change from the same old banana bread around here. Thanks for Sharing all your great recipes so my family can enjoy them too. Now I'll have to make it again and take some to my cute old neighbor lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, I love banana bread, but this recipe is definitely a close second!

      Delete
  7. I had some strawberries that needed to be used quick and found your recipe. I ended up making 5 mini loves (lowered the temp by 25 degrees and cooked for 35 minutes). They just cooled enough for my kids to try and they LOVE it!! This will be a new summer treat for our family! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks josette, I'm glad your kids loved these too! Nice to know it makes 5 mini loaves :) thanks!

      Delete
  8. This was so luscious!!! Scared me alittle when it was so dense in the bowl that I had to ask my husband to mix it for me---seemed like I missed a liquid. But, nope! After he tackled it for me and the berries released some liquid, it came out perfect---mae a full loaf plus 4 individual serving sized cakes!!!!! Now I need more berries!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthie, It is a very thick batter, I agree! It is one of my favorites too, thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Tell us how you really feel...