6/7/10

Graduation Brownies





When we moved here in 1994, Stephen was 2 years old. Last week, he graduated from Bountiful High, "Home of the Braves".
The kids at BHS are an amazing bunch. Each time we have a child graduate, I am filled with gratitude for the blessings we enjoy. For one - living in a community among people of different backgrounds and faiths with a common thread of love for families. Love these kids. Stephen's close friends are kids he has gone to school and church with since he was 2. They have been in scouting and earned their Eagle awards together. Hiked, fished, camped, sang in choirs, served others, played baseball, soccer, football and basketball together. We love all of their parents and they are among our closest friends. We take care of each other's kids and love and teach them like they are our own. Yeah, I know you are thinking, really? Yes, really. I couldn't ask for a better group of friends for my son.
It's a love fest.
Serious blessings.
Now I'm teary...and I am not a cryer.



Steve, Spence, Benny, Mikey, & K.O. at Seminary Graduation


My friend Laurie (aka Amazing Chocolate Cake Laurie ) made NINE, yes NINE jelly roll pans of brownies she named "Graduation Brownies". She was in charge of making treats at our Seminary graduation last week. My all time favorite brownie is Cooks Illustrated "Classic Brownie". Laurie took that recipe, combined it with one of her own favorites, and came up with "Graduation Brownies". Often, I have friends call and ask for a brownie recipe that can be baked in a standard (12x17x1 inch) half sheet or jelly roll pan. Up until now, I've always doubled a 9x13 recipe, but it was never just right. Laurie tweaked this recipe until it was perfect (wow, surprising)! Tried this recipe last weekend - it's a keeper. Absolutely delish. Every moist crumb disappeared.


a few of my faves: Spence, Dan, Benny, Steve, Kelon and Mikey

Oh, to all of my favorite 2010 graduates- Motherly advice I know you want :)

Remember who you are.
Work hard.
Pray.
Pray.
Pray.
Listen.
Be kind.
Don't forget to come back for cookies (and brownies).
Love you,
Si





Graduation Brownies
Laurie Cutler 2010

Preheat oven to 325°. Spray large cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) with Pam.

1/2 cup cocoa
4 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened baking chocolate
4 sticks butter
4 cups sugar
8 large eggs
1 T. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 ½ cups cake flour

Melt butter, baking chocolate and cocoa together in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in sugar. Add eggs, two at a time and stir until well blended after each addition. Whisk in vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl and stir. Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture in three additions. Do not over mix.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool.
One pan makes 35 brownies.

Tips:
-Laurie tried the brownies both with cake flour and regular flour and didn't notice a significant difference.
-Laurie served these with ice cream and home made hot fudge. Perfect for the texture of this brownie.

15 comments:

  1. These brownies look just like the kind of brownies I would love! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Si and Laurie,
    Thank you for the extra "coosh" I plan to add to my hips this weekend!
    Kiera

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those boys as well. What fine young men they have grown up to be. Hard to believe they are old enough to graduate. I can't think of a better way to celebrate, a.k.a. crying, that Dan will soon be off to college than eating a pan of brownies. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard to see children grow up but so nice knowing that they grew up "well". You must be so proud of your son (and his friends). My youngest graduated this week too. It's bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh cute post. Btw, I was surprised when I heard they had "super delicious refreshments" at the sem graduation. At the meeting (where we discussed the musical number for 40 minutes), they put the YM in charge of refreshments I thought.. and they said they were going to order 400 cookies from Dicks or Costco. I would have gone to graduation if I knew I could have had some of those!! ;) (And actually be graduating.. and hear President Eyring speak..)Congrats to Stephen- going to the U?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Si,
    I just love your blog. I've tried many of your recipes with great success! I especially love the Oreo cookie bar thing. I usually don't have a hard time stopping, but I could not stop eating that. It was sooo good.
    Amy Hedberg Brown

    ReplyDelete
  7. What are you trying to do..... kill me? 8 eggs and a pound of butter in one pan of brownies? I am making these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to Stephen. And these brownies look great! I'm moving Saturday and these would be perfect to make for all my helpers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those do look moist and fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your brownies really look wonderful. As a matter of fact all your recipes sound wonderful and look delicious. How proud you must be of your graduate.
    I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brownies are one of my favorites. These look absoluely fabulous! I'm going to give them a try, alway on the hunt for the "BEST" brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these brownies are SO GOOD. my aunt made some for me and i ate them for breakfast every day for the next several days. i am craving one right now...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mine graduates next year. Slight tears already form now! He's my baby & my one & only!! Add to that my hubby turns 60 at the SAME TIME.....so a surprise birthday & graduation party. Both guys LOVE brownies (makes more sense than cake for my guys). This will work. I'll try a batch on them this weekend. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing!!! I needed brownies for 100 so I asked my friend, and yours, Tessa if she had a good recipe. Boy did she ever! I will never bake another recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...