8/24/10

Fool Proof Chocolate Bundt Cake with Fudge Frosting









I've had this recipe since we first got married. It came from one of my SIL's and it is one of my three box mix approved recipes. Number one was Spinach Herb Twists. Dos: Simple Lemon Almond Poppy Seed Cake. This recipe is big number three. After this, I only have one more box mix approved recipe to share with you. I know how you LOVE mix recipes. Seriously. So pay attention.

Tops 10 reasons I love this cake, why you will love it and why grown men, women and children have been known to literally beg me to make this:

1. Suuper easy.

2. Super high fat. Not really a reason why I love it, but face it, the reason it tastes so good.

3. Super yummy/moist.

4. No fail recipe.

5. Doesn't matter how many times you make it, peeps always eat it all up.

6. Travels well, sliced or unsliced.

7. Usually have all of the ingredients on hand.

8. Mixed, baked and frosted in about 1 1/2 hours. Most of this time is baking/cooling time.

9. Great all purpose party/gathering cake: farewell, homecoming, shower, funeral.

10. Who doesn't love a BUNDT.




Chocolate Bundt Cake with Fudge Frosting

1 cake mix - chocolate (any name brand will work)
1 small box instant pudding, chocolate or vanilla, dry
1/2 cup sugar

3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup water
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup (or about 1/2 package) chocolate chips, semi sweet

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
*Generously grease a bundt pan.
Combine cake mix, dry pudding mix and sugar together in bowl. Add rest of ingredients, mix until all ingredients are combined well (with blender), about one minute. Pour into prepared pan, and bake on middle rack of oven for about 50-60 mintues or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on wire rack.
Let cake sit for about 5 minutes, loosen edges with a table knife, and invert onto a platter.
Cool completely, then frost.

Fudge Frosting:
1 cup (or about 1/2 package) semi sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 to 1 cup powdered sugar
dash salt
milk to thin

Melt chocolate chips in double booiler or microwave safe dish. Add the butter and beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup to begin, then add vanilla and dash of salt. Add remaining powdered sugar, continue to mix until desired spreading consistency. Add milk to thin. Top cake with frosting.

Tips:
-*When baking a cake in a Bundt pan, it took me a LONG time to figure this out: Generously grease the pan- key word generously. I use PAM, a cooking spray. Any type of cooking spray, or brushing the pan with oil will work as well. I don't use solid shortening bc it may leave a white film on the baked goods after they cool.
-This recipe works with any combo of: choc cake/choc pudding, choc cake/vanilla pudding, yellow cake/choc pudding.
-Works with low fat sour cream, but better texture with regular sour cream.
-Can make this in two 9 inch loaf pans. Start checking for doneness at the 45 min mark. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment or wax paper, grease paper.
-Great w or w/o the frosting.

8 comments:

  1. EStupendo, se ve totalmente delicioso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and it's round, like the circle of life.
    i love a good bundt

    ReplyDelete
  3. this might be a silly question, but do you make the pudding first or just add the instant pudding powder to the mix?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a silly question! Add the pudding mix dry. I'll amend the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm...I have a recipe similar to this one except you use a yellow cake mix, and I don't frost it. I'll have to try your version. I love the one I make. My kids love to quote phrases from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", every time a make a bundt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes, Si. I still get to benefit from your great cooking skills even though we haven't had recipe club forever. I'm making graduation brownies for my Sunday School class this morning. Thinking of you.
    Love,Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. who doesn't love a good bundt is what I always say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used a silicone pan and hardly had any butter pam spray and it didnt stick at all!! I totally will continue and reccomend using silicone pans!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...