9/17/10

Chicken, Apple and Smoked Gouda Salad




What's for dinner?? Every mom's favorite 6 o'clock question.
I wanted to make a salad Sheri found in Southern Living Magazine. Jake's response? Not enough of a man-salad to interest him. He wanted "5 Guys Burgers and Fries". One of his favorite places to eat dinner. I couldn't do it. Last time I ate there, I felt like I was going to give birth to a 10 lb. brick.
It was a stand-off.
In the end, he got a greasy burger and fries. I got a fresh salad, loaded with greens, crisp apples and celery, moist chicken, sweet Craisins and crunchy roasted cashews. Oh did I mention the fresh home made honey mustard basil dressing? Yum.



Chicken, Apple, and Smoked Gouda Salad (updated 1/2015)
adapted from Southern Living Magazine
print recipe

2 Gala apples, thinly sliced (about 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 (6-oz.) package baby spinach and spring greens mix
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1/4 of a small red onion, sliced thin
1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
1 1/2 cups sweetened dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups salted cashews or pecans

Honey-Mustard Dressing:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
dash coarse sea salt

For Salad:
Toss apple slices with lemon juice.

Layer salad greens, apples, chicken, and next 5 ingredients in a large glass bowl. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 8 hours.

For Dressing:
Whisk together all dressing ingredients, or use immersion blender, and blend until combined.
Toss salad with 1/4 cup Honey-Mustard Dressing just before serving. Or, layer salads on individual plates and drizzle with dressing.


Tips: (after making this several times, I changed the dressing up a bit again, updated 1/2015)
-One small Rotisserie chicken may be subbed for the 3 cups cooked chicken.
-I prefer to plate the salad individually, and dress each salad.
-The original dressing recipe calls for 1 cup of mayo. Waaay too much mayo for my taste. I cut the mayo and added some olive oil and vinegar. Still a creamy dressing, just not as rich.
-Sheri used pears instead of apples. Perfect for pear season!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! This looks wonderful. Can I come over for leftovers? Wait...I bet there weren't any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMM YUMM YUMMM!! Cannot wait to try this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yuuuum! sounds light and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds like quite the salad. You've used my husband's favorite cheese- I do believe this will be on the menu this week or next at the lastest. Great flavors going here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice of cheese. I bet it changes the whole flavor. Thanks for sharing.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a yummy salad. I shared it on my blog @ www.livinranchdelux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was really good. I loved the dressing! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked this Katharine! It is one of my favorites :)

      Delete

Tell us how you really feel...