11/1/10

Miss Leisa's Potato Salad & Miss- part two




On the third day of our trip to Mississippi, Mary and I set out early for Natchez. Natchez is a home to the " Pilgrimage" twice a year, spring and fall.
Picture yourself sitting on the porch of beautiful Rosalie mansion.


The weather is perfect. This home fits in GWTW times. You're waiting for a tour to begin, when a woman, dressed in period appropriate clothing swishes out onto the front porch in her big hoop skirt. Not sure if the hosts are always in costume, but certain they are always equipped with a charming Southern drawl. Some tours are hosted by sweet Southern ladies who are descendants of original plantation/mansion owners.



Miss Rosalie Mansion: "Did sahm bahdah rahng the dahl bahl?"
translation: Did somebody ring the doorbell?


Miss Barbara has a funny convo with Miss Rosalie Manion. Miss Barbara and Miss Mary are quite amused by Miss Rosalie Mansion. Is she for real?




Oh, Miss Barabara- she is Mary's childhood friend. They grew up together in the South. Miss Barbara joined us to show us around the town. She and her husband own some property up river and she knows Natchez like nobody's business.



Toured the town in a horse drawn carriage that clomp-clomped
past several historic sites in old town Natchez.


We ate breakfast at an old hotel in town, took the carriage ride, toured Rosalie, stopped again to eat at and tour Stanton Hall. Lunch at the mansion included: tiny butter biscuits, fried pickled green tomatoes, deviled eggs, shrimp with Remoulade sauce, Shrimp Po-Boys and frozen fruit salad. Coke in the cutest little bottle, eh-vah.
Miss Mary and Miss Barbara win the prize for most hospitable hosts. Serious.


Last stop, Longwood Mansion and Gardens...


At the end of the day, we toured Longwood Mansion. It's a beautiful place, surrounded by trees draped in moss. The 30,00 square home was designed by Samuel Sloan, a Philadelphia architect. The mansion was built for wealthy cotton planter Haller Nutt and his wife, Julia.

Love the Greek Revival architecture and the mossy trees.



The mansion was almost completed when the Civil War began. When the war started, the craftsmen, who were from the North, dropped their tools and went home believing they would be back shortly to finish. The war ended up lasting 4 years.


Haller Nutt finished the basement level floor with the help of slaves who remained on the plantation. Of the thirty two rooms planned, only nine rooms on the basement floor were completed and used. Haller died of an illness 1864, a year before the war ended. His wife Julia lived with their children on the finished level for several years. The upper 5 floors were never completed. The mansion has a sad feel. It's as if a picture of history was snapped and time froze in this once grand part of the South. The home is the largest standing octoganal home in America, and is a National Historic Landmark.



After the day was over, we said our goodbye's to Miss Barb and headed back for the lodge. There are about 20 homes available for tour in Natchez, 3 down, 17 to go...
Like my bff Scarlett says, "Tomorrow is another day".
I'll be back.


I got so carried away with my travel log, I forgot to tell you about this salad. I love my Aunt Di's potato salad. It's my go-to potato salad. This salad is totally different. I loved Miss Liesa's Potato salad. A little sweet. A little crunch. Yummy, perfectly cooked potatoes. Made this with Buttermilk Fried Chicken. LOVED it.





Miss Leisa's Potato Salad

2 pounds tiny new potatoes
1 cup low-fat mayonnaise dressing or light salad dressing
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/3 cup chopped sweet or dill pickles ( I used sweet)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

In a large saucepan, combine potatoes and enough water to cover potatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or just until tender. Drain well. Let potatoes cool. Cut into cubes.
In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise dressing , celery, onion, pickles, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the potatoes and egg, gently tossing to coat.
Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
To serve, stir enough of the milk into salad to reach desired consistency. Season to taste with additional pepper.

Tips:
-The mayonnaise dressing called for is a dressing like Miracle Whip. Since I don't usually purchase Miracle Whip, I subbed regular mayo, and added a teaspoon of sugar to give it a sweet flavor.
- I was in a hurry, as usual, so I did not wait for the salad to chill 6 hours before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog months ago from a random google recipe search, and have come to really love it! And I just can't believe what a small world it is, becuase I realized you are Corrine's mother. I live in Jackson Mississippi, but I spent a summer in Utah with my cousin Tiffanie Anderson. I think she and Corrine may have lived together at Belmont at some point? Anyways, imagine my surprise when I saw your visit to mississippi! What brought you down this way? My family has a hunting camp in the delta, and it looks like you definitely saw your way around there through funny little towns like Belzoni. Where did y'all hunt? And I love that you went to Natchez! My grandmother is on the Board of Rosalie, and those ladies take it very seriously, ha! Anyways, I just had to tell you what a small world it is! Also, you should really order a couple of the Junior League of Jackson's cookbooks..."Come on in!" and "Southern Sideboards" are some of the best and most authentic southern cookbooks there are! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyla,

    It is a small world! The boys hunted near Belzoni. Such a wonderful trip.How fun to have a Grandmother on the board at Rosalie!
    I have had "Come on In" for several years, and used it several times. I had to go look at my bookshelves to see if I had Southern Sideboards, and there it was. Grant purchased it for me in 2001. I will put it to use soon! thanks for the note, great to hear from you. Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fun y'all were with the Primos while you were here. I don't know Will and Mary personally, but I know their family well and went to school with their neices. Their family used to own a fine dining restaurant in Jackson years ago, called Primos, and now they have Primos Cafe. Did they take you? They have Good ole Southern comfort food, but in my opinion their caramel cake is to die for! Anyway, that is so fun that you are already cooking from our Junior League books, especially since I cook from your blog so often. Just last week for a pre-Thanksgiving feast I made your corn cakes (hubbs LOVES them) along with the Vidalia Casserole(pg. 135)and the Crunchy Romaine Toss (pg. 68) of "Come on In." Since I love your tips so much, I'll give you mine for that salad: I add much more sugar to the dressing (it really needs to sit in the fridge a while for the flavors to gel as well) and I also add mandarin oranges. You should really try it, it's my favorite salad! Also, my grandmother that is on the board of Rosalie submitted the stuffed peppers recipe on pg. 149! Anyways, so fun to hear you enjoyed the South. I'm off to attempt one of your pie recipes for the first time so I can perfect it by Christmas! :) Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Si--

    Loved these posts. I am originally from Yazoo City. Moved here to go to college, got married and stayed. Been here 20 years now.

    Was excited to see that you know the Primos. We used to go to their restaurant (Primos Northgate) often when I was growing up. The restaurant included a bakery and if we behaved ourselves during dinner, Mom would let us stop and get a box of gingerbread boys to take home. They were THE BEST. Big, soft and chewy with raisins for buttons and eyes. I would love, love, love to have that recipe. Any chance you could get it? It would make a great blog post!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...