12/10/10

River's Run Almond Orange Shortbread




When we visited Will and Mary at River's Run last fall, Leisa made this shortbread cookie. Shortbread has always been Grant's favorite. We loved these thin sweet cookies with a hint of orange and crunchy almonds.
Like the rectangular shape too. I love having a variety of shapes, flavors and textures on my holiday cookie plate. These things are a big deal to me. Ranks right up there with world peace.






River's Run Almond Orange Shortbread Cookies
adapted from Martha Stewart Living 2008
print recipe

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
Grated zest of 1 orange (about 2 teaspoons)
3/4 cup sliced or chopped almonds

In a mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar, almond extract, and salt until smooth. With mixer on low speed, add flour and orange zest; mix just until a dough forms. Add almonds and mix gently till nuts are incorporated throughout dough.
On a clean surface, form dough into a rectangular log, 12 inches long, 2 1/2 inches wide, and 1 inch thick. Wrap log in wax or parchment paper, and freeze until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 3 months. If freezing longer than 1 day, wrap log again, in plastic wrap.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Remove dough from freezer. (If dough has been in freezer a long time and is frozen solid, let it sit at room temperature 30 minutes so it slices without crumbling.)
With a sharp knife, cut dough into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheet at least 1 inch apart. Bake until edges just begin to turn golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet; transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.

Tips:
-I keep this in the refrigerator, not freezer if I am going to bake within a couple of weeks.
-You can use any type of citrus zest: lime, lemon, orange in this cookie.
-Dipped in chocolate...yes.



4 comments:

  1. This stuff is AMAZ-ING! I have 2 loafs in the freezer right now. I did add some extra almonds and some orange extract, I could not stop eating the dough. One of my est friends Kristy is allergic to eggs so I am always on the hunt for things that are terrific that does not have to make her feel like she is giving up anything. This cookie, top three of my live, seriously! And I think they will go wonderfully with champagne which is great since she is coming out for New Years. Thanks a million! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I love shortbread. The citrus is not something I have ever added, but I'm going to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog and your recipes. Please visit my blog at:
    http://delicious-macedonia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...