2/28/11

Oh My Bouchon






Remember the post about Tulie Bakery?  Last year, they earned the award for Best Bakery in SLC, Utah.  It's a wonderful little place, tucked around the corner from Trio on 9th East and 700 South.
Last Friday, Melinda and I went there for lunch. She fell in love with the Bouchon. She started looking for homes in the neighborhood. She talked about how great it would be to walk to Tulie every day. She blogged about wanting a Bouchon in her mouth when she dies. So dramatic. Later in the day, I receive an email from Wayne. Wayne is Melinda's husband. Want to see a picture of Wayne and a BIG FISH? Wayne sends me a recipe for Bouchons. Hint, hint. The recipe looks uncomplicated, but requires a special pan for baking. The next day, I make some calls and find the pan(s). Assemble the ingredients.  Start a little research of my own. Here's what I found:
1. Bouchon is French for "cork". Didn't know that.
2. Bouchon's are not low in fat. Really?
3. Bouchon's are for chocolate lovers. Obvious.
4. Bouchon's are best eaten the day they are made.
5. Not all Bouchon recipes are created equal. Found this out three recipes, and four batches later.
6. If you mess up, everyone wants to eat the "flop". See comment 5.
7. Bouchon's are not complicated, but require a little patience in the cooling process, so they can be successfully removed from their molds, and hold their cute shape. Patience is not my middle name.
8. Reality: a Bouchon is simply a super rich brownie, baked in a cute cork shaped mold.

There you have it.  Simple, yes. Rich, yes. A Chocolate Lover's dream, absolutely.


Bouchons
adapted from Thomas Keller, Bouchon Bakery
print recipe
yields approximately 18-24 small or 8-10 large Bouchons

3 1/2 oz or 3/4 cup plus one tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2  cups plus three tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
24 tablespoons (not a typo) unsalted butter, melted and cooled a bit
4 oz. chopped bittersweet chocolate
Confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease 12 Bouchon molds, or 8-10 metal 2 inch Timbale molds
Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
In the bowl of a mixer, beat eggs and sugar for about 3-5 minutes, until pale yellow color. Mix in vanilla. Using a spatula, fold in flour and butter alternately, until all ingredients are incorporated, folding only until all of the dry ingredients are mixed into the batter. Fold the chopped chocolate into the batter. Refrigerate batter for about 30 minutes.
Place the greased timbale or bouchon molds onto a cookie sheet. Using a small cookie scoop,  Fill the molds to the top. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.  Test with wooden pick, the toothpick should come out with a few moist crumbs attached.
Carefully transfer the molds to a cooking rack. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Invert the molds onto a wire rack. Remove the molds and gently turn the Bouchon again, so the top is facing up.  Let cool for about 15 minutes.   Dust lightly with Confectioner's sugar.

Tips:
- Molds may be found at Williams Sonoma, or other kitchen speciality stores. The Silicone mold I used runs $29 , and the package of (4) Timbale metal molds run about $23. The metal molds are larger . The small silicone molds are perfect size for one person, or say, a luncheon treat. If you are looking for a less expensive option, use muffin tins, custard cups, or I wonder if using non-wax disposable Dixie size cups would work? Grease as directed, fill and place on a baking sheet,  peel the cup off after baked and cooled.  Let me know if you try this, and if it works.
-Tried a recipe (Williams Sonoma) using baking powder, but it was harder to predict the rise in the batter. The first time I baked, the batter overflowed. The second time, I only filled 2/3 of the way, but the Bouchons were not tall enough.  Looked more like brownie bites. Didn't love the W.S. recipe.
-The texture should be  a little crusty on top, with a dense, moist middle.
- This recipe is adapted from Thomas Keller, famous restaurateur and cookbook author. I questioned the use of three cubes, or 24 tablespoons of butter in the recipe. I decided to cut the butter a bit and adjust the cocoa and flour accordingly. Cooking at 350 and adjusting the recipe left me with a good, but not great Bouchon. FINE. I went back to the drawing board. Adjusted the heat to 325. The higher temp at our altitude left the Bouchons a bit overcooked.  Added a tablespoon of flour. Used the full 24 tablespoons butter. I know, insane, but absolutely delicious.






Williams Sononoma Bouchon Pan

9 comments:

  1. oh yum! i love anything chocolate and that looks divine! thanks for testing the recipes for us! now about that pan..... maybe i'll try a little twist with some french pans i have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhhh yes I am dramatic....and the big fish picture is a definite black mail one!
    Thanks for the Bouchon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please I'll take 5, 4 for me and one for the rest of the fam to split.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a WS Bouchon silicone pan a year ago when a friend brought me a plate of these. This is the same recipe I used and they are fabulous. I may have to go make some more. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They taste great for breakfast, lunch and dinner! So delicious. I wondered how you got them that shape, now I need a new pan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a great friend and wonderful cook. Thanks for experimenting for us and for making great goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is it I've never heard of these?? Yumm

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are just beautiful. I'm relatively new to your blog and don't often post. I just wanted you to know how much I like the food and recipes you feature here. I really enjoy my visits here.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...