5/27/11

Feature Friday- Brown Derby Grapefruit Cake





Today's "Feature Friday" recipe is from Kate Condit Zack .
Kate blogs at  Love to Cook...Love to Bake  where she shares her love of life, food and photography.   I love the look of this sweet little 6 inch cake she made for her friend's birthday!  Here's a little peek into Kate's life...






I've always loved being in the kitchen.  That's where the action is, where delicious smells come from, and where I go to create some really great stuff! My Grandma was my inspiration. She lived her life in Baltimore and she was ALWAYS in the kitchen.  I remember there was always soup before the meal, usually a steaming bowl of crab soup with a rich tomato broth and lots of vegetables. Her crab cakes were incredible, a recipe I use today, and undeniably the best. The first meal I made for my mom was macaroni and cheese from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook back when I was about 7 years old. I was very proud of it, and it was really good..a creamy white sauce combined with good old cheddar and shells sprinkled with toasted bread crumbs..yum. So off I went through life, cooking and baking, and came to realize that baking was the shizzy. I loved finding a great recipe and making it even better. I  attended the baking and pastry arts program at The California Culinary Academy. I was 47 years old and had no idea what I was in for.  I mastered the art of baking thanks to a dedicated and talented team of instructors. I did a gig in the basement of well known pastry kitchens and had a wonderful time working for a small caterer cooking with a great bunch of gals.


To view Kate's recipe for Brown Derby Grapefruit Cake click here.




2 comments:

Tell us how you really feel...