9/16/11

Amy's Bread Zucchini, Carrot and Apple Muffins



Zucchini. Have you had any show up on your front porch lately?  A couple of weeks ago, I walked into my kitchen and found three zucchini on my counter. No idea how they got there. Pretty sure I didn't grow them in my batting cage... When my kids came home, I asked them about the mystery z.
Jake said Chris, my back-door neighbor handed them over the fence (thanks Chris). Probably when he was out back, hitting plums from the deck into the batting cage.

They sat on the counter for a few days, and eventually ended up in muffins. I chose this recipe because I had two ENORMOUS bags of carrots in my fridge. In a moment of stupidity, I bought this warehouse-great-deal bag of carrots.  Enough carrots to feed a small country. I think it weighs twenty pounds. I was making a carrot cake at the time and thought it was a good idea. So a month later, I still have 19 pounds of carrots in my fridge. Well, after this recipe maybe 18.  Let me know if you need any carrots.
Oh, the muffins. Wonderful. I love Amy's Bread.  If you love carrot cake, you'll love these. They are dense, not too much sugar and are made with veggie oil instead of butter. I added raisins to the batter, since I love raisins in my muffins. Great texture. A meal in a muffin.














Zucchini, Carrot and Apple Muffins
adapted slightly from Amy's Bread, NYC
print recipe

3 cups flour
1 1/8 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened coconut
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
4 large eggs
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups peeled grated carrots
2 cups zucchini, unpeeled
2 cups granny smith apples, grated
3/4 cup walnut pieces, or 3/4 cup golden raisins or both

Position rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tins.
In large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, coconut, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and baking powder, whisk together.
In another medium size bowl, whisk eggs, oil, and vanilla. Add grated carrots, zucchini and apples. Stir together, until all fruit and vegetables are mixed well.
pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients all at once. Fold until all incorporated. Fold in nuts and raisins   if using. The batter will be very thick.
Scoop the batter into greased muffin pan using a large cookie scoop. Or use a large spoon or measuring cup. Fill the muffin tins almost to the top to insure full, rounded muffin tops.
Bake at 400 for ten minutes, lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 6 minutes. Check the muffins by inserting a toothpick in center, if it comes out clean, muffin is done.
Leave the muffin in the tin for about ten minutes, then loosen edges with a butter knife and remove from pan to cool.

Tips:
-I used unpeeled, cored Macintosh apples.
-I did not add the nuts, but added golden raisins. You may add one or both, or neither, if you wish.
-The original recipe calls for 12 large muffins. I thought the muffins would be too big as a large muffin, especially since these are dense, filling muffins. I baked the muffins in regular size muffin tins. The recipe yielded about 22 regular size muffins.
-Since I did not make the muffins into 12 large muffins, I cut the baking time. The original recipe calls for 400 degrees- ten minutes, rotate the pan, lower temperature to 350, then bake for an additional 22-25 minutes. Maybe this was a misprint? That would total at least 32 minutes.  Way too long. My muffins were done baking in 16 minutes flat.
-Super moist. Great texture. These freeze well.

12 comments:

  1. I feel good..if i had some of your muffins that is;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love zucchini anything! I'm gonna have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving these muffins! The pictures are awesome, I can practically see the spice! Great breakfast muffin for on the go morning madness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a way to make these vegan? I"m curious about how to substitute the eggs...
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anon, here's a link for egg subs. I haven't ever tried any of these options, but if you can't use eggs, it's worth a try :)
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/eggsubstitute.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. These muffins were great! I omitted the coconut since my daughter doesn't care for it (& I didn't have any!). I also did regular size muffins (made 24) & baked at 350 for 15 mins. They're perfect! Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We loved these muffins!!! I substituted whole wheat flour 3/4 cup to every 1 cup all purpose called for in the recipe also added 1 T chai seeds and loved your recommendation to add raisins. I also omitted the coconut. Fantastic muffins! Thank you for a delicious recipe my whole family can enjoy! I'll feature them on my food blog at some point in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made these!!! SOOOOO good!!! and my little veggie hater gobbled two of them up so that made me a very happy mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made these today and they are delish! I cut the recipe in half and didn't put in walnuts or raisins, although if I would of had some, I would of! The baking time is perfect too, my hubby loved it and so did my 14 months old son! A big hit with our family :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini after grating it? Another of my recipies asks you to do that and I didn't know if it was needed for this one also. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...