11/19/11

Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie





Every year, I try out a new pie to go along with my traditional line up for Pie Night and Thanksgiving.
When I first read this recipe, I thought- this is it, the newbie for 2011. It's a combo of a few of my favorites: vanilla custard, chocolate custard, banana and whipped cream.  One of those recipes you read and know it's a winner. Oh my goodness. I was right. Again. 

I'm signing off till after Thanksgiving. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday! Thanksgiving has always been my favorite time of year. I love the gatherings. The food. The time to reflect on blessings. Here are a few things I'm grateful for this past year...



Baseball. From January to December.

 Time in the mountains with young women. 

 The flag. Our country. The people who sacrifice to serve and protect. 


 Two of my four kids living at home. 


One last hug (for two years)  from Stephen.  


Cousins. 

Sunday dinners with family. 

 Newly planted flowers. 


My little brother and his cute fam. 

 Another Eagle Scout. 

Mother and beaches. 

 New beginnings. 

 54-10

 A son who loves serving the Lord and people of Mexico. 

 When the leaves change in Btown. 

 14 & 15 year old boys. 

Gathering with people we love. 

 Friends who love me. 


 Neighbors who have become family. 


Sunday night walks to the temple. 

Grant. 



Oh, and good food. 
Definitely thankful for good food. 




Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie
Food and Wine Magazine 2011
print recipe


Crust
1 1/2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs (about 7 ounces)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Filling and Topping
1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 large egg yolks
2 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1-2 medium bananas, sliced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
chocolate shavings, for garnish

1. Make the crust. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a food processor, combine the graham cracker crumbs with the sugar, cinnamon, slat and melted butter and pulse until the crumbs are moistened.  Press the crumbs evenly into a 9- to 10-inch, deep-dish glass or ceramic pie plate.  Bake for about 10 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned and set.  Let cool completely.

2. Meanwhile, make the filling in a large saucepan (preferably with a rounded bottom), combine the granulated sugar with the cornstarch, egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the milk and whisk until smooth.  whisk in the remaining 2 cups of milk and cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until the custard is very thick, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract until the butter is melted.  Pour half o the vanilla custard into a medium bowl.

3.  Whisk the copped chocolate into the custard in the saucepan until it is melted.  Spread the chocolate custard evenly in the pie crust and top with the sliced bananas.  Carefully spread the vanilla custard over the bananas.  Refrigerate the banana cream pie until it is well chilled, at least 6 hours and preferably overnight.

4.  In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream with the confectioners' sugar until it is softly whipped.  Mound the whipped cream on top of the pie.  Garnish the banana cream pie with chocolate shavings and serve.

Tips:
-To make ahead, prepare the crust a few days early and the custard the day before serving. Then put it all together early on Thanksgiving day. All it has to do is sit in the fridge and rest until you are done stuffing yourself with the big feast, and are ready for dessert. 

8 comments:

  1. A. Annaliese is very honored that her picture is now on your blog.
    B. Blogging instead of watching the game? (...oh, you want to get it out of the way before BYU plays at 8. I get it.)
    C. What are you THINKING posting that deliciousness with chocolate AND bananas... And me thinking I had the menu for Thursday all planned. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post.
    i should try that pie.
    sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful. Don't you love Thanksgiving? It's my favorite holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the witch and the monkey! Favorite people of mine and the pie sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you of letting us in your friends and family life.They all seem a great people that make you life happy and colorful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thank you so much for the wonderful picture you posted! Ha, we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the glimpse of your family and friends. I love the pie you have shared with us today. I love to visit your blog. I never leave empty handed and always enjoy the time I spend here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this pie for Thanksgiving....should have made two. Hands down the favorite of the day and second fav was the apple cranberry pie. Oh so delicious and very easy...bang for your buck that's for sure. Thanks again, Si!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...