11/14/11

How to make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice




Last week I was shopping for some spices and started to throw a canister of Pumpkin Pie Spice into the cart. I looked twice at the price $4.99 for a tiny 1.12 oz jar.  YIKES. I turned the jar around and looked at the ingredients: Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg and Allspice. I knew I had all of those at home in my spice cupboard. I placed the jar back on the shelf, and went on my way. Back at the ranch, I fired up the computer. Looked for "Pumpkin Pie Spice" recipes. About 2,180,000 results. Oh my.  No, I didn't look at all of the results, but I did read a few. I came up with this recipe, a combo of other recipes. On a label, the ingredients listed are in order of ingredients found in the largest amount, by weight,  down to the ingredients found in the least amount.  I re-read the label, and decided to add a little bit of ground cloves too, because everyone loves a bit of clove during holiday season, right?
By my calculation, I spent about $2.00 on close to double the amount of spice I was able to mix up in my own kitchen. I bought some cute little crocks to put the spice mix in, but you can use anything you have around the house, or an old spice bottle ( I would use one of the spices contained in the pump pie spice mix). How's that for thrifty? Mom would be proud. In a good way. 
Are you in the mood for cooking? I hope so.  Ten more days!!  Here's the lineup for the rest of the week:

Tues: Sheri's Southern Cornbread Dressing
Wed: Balsamic Roasted Yams and Onions
Thu: Make Ahead Mashed Potato Casserole
Fri: Sheri's  Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with Brown Sugared Pecans
Sat: Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie



Pumpkin Pie Spice
A Bountiful Kitchen
print recipe

3 tablespoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
1 teaspoon cloves

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix with a fork or small whisk.
Store in a jar or small Ziploc bag.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this.I used the mixed spice we have here but see this is slightly different.Great:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too make my own spice. This would be a great idea for a gift or tucked in a gift basket, don't you think? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! I love that you added cloves, I think that's why pumpkin pie spice doesn't taste right, cause that's not in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, yes, that's exactly what I did with the extra crocks, gave them away as little gifts. This would be a perfect neighbor gift for Chirstmas :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...