3/2/12

Original Toll House Pie








Want to make a guaranteed home run dessert? Like my baseball talk?  Baseball practice started today, accompanied by a foot of snow. 
I promise if you make this dessert, everyone who eats it, will love it. 
What's not to love? Chocolate chip cookie filling +  homemade pie crust = love.  Yes, homemade pie crust.
Store bought crust? lalalalalalalala. I can't hear you.








Toll House Pie
adapted from Nestle
print recipe

1-9 inch unbaked pie crust
3/4 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour (3/4 cup if omitting nuts)
1 1/2  cups chocolate chips, Nestle semi-sweet are best for this recipe
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
1/2 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla until blended well. Next, add all of the dry ingredients into the same bowl, mixing all at once, just until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated.
Pour filling into unbaked pie shell (recipe below).
Bake on center rack of oven for about 50 minutes or until knife inserted about half way from center of pie to crust (outer edge of pie) comes out clean.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.


Pie Crust

1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup solid shortening
1/4 cup cold water

Cut shortening into flour and salt  in medium size bowl, until the mixture resembles small pieces the size of peas. Add cold water all at once. Mix with a fork until dough starts to form into a ball, do not over mix. Add additional flour to the dough just until the dough is not sticky. Sprinkle flour out onto a flat surface. Roll the dough out and place in a 9 inch pie plate. Lightly press into the corners of the plate.  Crimp the edges. Fill and bake as directed above.


8 comments:

  1. What temperature do you bake the pie? Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, Sorry I didn't include the temperature, I just corrected the recipe. It states 325. Or you could bake at 350 for a few minutes less.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Can't wait to taste this for myself!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Si, I don't know if you remember me, but I want you to know how much I enjoy your blog, I check it weekly. I had to smile when you commented that is it baseball season and the field is covered with snow....so true....same here in Cedar City, Utah. Hope I see you sometime on the field. Keep Cooking. Kim Kringlen-Hansen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I remember you Kim! What fun we had in Arizona last year! I hope to see you at a field somewhere soon :)

      Delete
  3. I made this tonight for FHE with some friends and it was definite hit. I'm sorry, but I used store bought crust. Love ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh this looks like HEAVEN!! I have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...