6/17/12

Ruth's Mile High Biscuits



















































Make these for your DAD today.
You'll be his new favorite. 


Ruth's Mile High Biscuits
Ruth's Diner, SLC Utah

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees

12 oz flour (about 2 1/2-2 3/4 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 oz butter, chilled and cut into small cubes

Combine all of the ingredients above till crumbly, using a pastry cutter, or two knives.

Add:
3/4 cup buttermilk, shaken
1 egg
1/4 cup water
Mix just until all of the wet and dry ingredients are combined,
Pat out onto a floured surface. Cut with a 2 inch biscuit cutter, or a glass.
Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.


Tips:
-Don't be concerned when these aren't "mile high". They rise about as much as any other biscuit recipe I have tested, about 2 inches total. The name may have come from the altitude in Emigration Canyon, where the biscuits are served :)
-These biscuits are a perfect combo of tender, a little sweet and salty.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy this biscuit. Looks delicious and great with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making these!!! I see they don't require yeast - something that just doesn't like me when I bake (think: everything turns out flat). I have hope that these will work for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...