10/2/12

Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce




Here's the recipe I used for enchilada sauce when I made Honey Lime Enchiladas a few weeks back. It takes about 10 minutes to cook up and blend. The comparison to pre-made canned sauce? Let's see. Kind of like the difference between a pop-out-of-the-can biscuit and homemade.
Canned biscuits.
Don't go there.
That's all I'm going to say.







Homemade  Green Enchilada Sauce
A Bountiful Kitchen
print recipe

2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1-16 oz jar Salsa Verde
12 oz tomatillos, chopped (about 1lb before husking)
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1-14 oz  chicken or vegetable broth
Salt to taste

Saute chopped onion in olive oil in medium saucepan. Cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for another two minutes. Remove from heat.
Place all of the remaining ingredients in a blender, or use a hand immersion blender, and blend until smooth.
Use in recipes calling for green enchilada sauce.
Yield about 5-6 cups sauce.

Tips:
-Leftovers may be frozen.


3 comments:

  1. I love green enchiladas. However, my tomatillos didn't grow so well in the garden this year. Your photos are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM, I could eat the bowl of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds sooo good. And Honey Lime Enchiladas, I think I am going to have to make these with some kind of vegetarian filling. It is my new quest.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...