1/15/13

Cutler's Frosted Peanut Butter Cookies






It's January 15. Are you ready to break your New Years resolution? Read on.
Back in November, Curt Cutler taught a class on one of his best sellers: Frosted Peanut Butter cookies. The class was packed, and everyone left with little tricks and tips on how to make the perfect chocopeanutbutter treat. You've never had one of these delightful goodies? Think of chocolate chip cookie dough, only with peanut butter chips instead of chocolate. Add a thin layer of peanut butter frosting, topped with chocolate butter cream frosting.
Oh my.
Forget the diet.
Get out the mixer.
BTW - If you live in the area and want to learn how to make Cutler's famous Sugar cookies  Curt's teaching a class on Wednesday, January 30.  Two classes:
10 am  and 2 pm  (update-both filled as of 1/24). Ten dollars buys you: instruction, recipes, a sample and lunch. Pre-registration required. Hurry classes are filling up fast.
Where else can you get a deal like that?
Btown.
Love it.






Cutler's Frosted Peanut Butter Cookies
Curt Cutler
print recipe

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
3 1/4 cups cake flour ( he uses cake flour in all of Cutler's cookies)
1- 12 oz bag Reese's Peanut Butter chips (no substitutions)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in center of oven.
Cream together butter, sugars, salt, baking soda and powder.  Add vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
Add flour and peanut butter chips. Mix just until flour and chips are blended together.
Using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, or just a large spoon, scoop into 2 inch balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet about 4 inches apart.  I bake about 8 cookies per sheet.
Bake for about 12 minutes, or until set.

Peanut Butter Frosting

1/2 cup butter, soft-room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter (not natural)
milk to thin to proper consistency (whole milk is best)

Cream together room-temperature butter and powdered sugar. Add peanut butter and beat until smooth. Add milk a tablespoon at time, just until frosting is smooth and creamy. Set aside.

Chocolate Frosting
1 cup butter or 1/2 and 1/2 blend butter/margarine
5-6 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (or less if you like a lighter cocoa frosting)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk

Cream butter and 5 cups powdered sugar. Add cocoa and vanilla. Add milk a tablespoon at a time until frosting is smooth. If needed, add more powdered sugar.

After cookies are cooled, frost with peanut butter frosting. Then frost on top of the peanut butter frosting with the chocolate frosting. When spreading the chocolate frosting on top of the peanut butter frosting, be very gentle and leave a small space between the edge of the peanut butter frosting and the chocolate frosting for a layered frosting look (see photos).

30 comments:

  1. In the cookie recipe it calls for 3 1/4 cups flour. Are you sure it isn't 2 1/4 cups?? Just making sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, we use cake flour. If you're using all purpose you would need a bit less. Maybe a 1/4 cup less.

      Cutlers

      Delete
    2. Any tips for why my cookies flattened out more than the picture here shows? Should I have refrigerated the dough first? did I beat it too long? Thanks, Leah M

      Delete
  2. Just made these yesterday, and had to hit the gym this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite cookie by far! I can't believe I now have the recipe ... uh oh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delish! Love a good frosted cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely amazing- can't wait to try them! The texture of the soft cookie, the chewy chips, the luscious frosting....oh me, oh peanut buttery my. And that class sounds like the best deal in town- i hope to be there:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps- where is the best place to buy cake flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, Curt will sell a bag to you if you go into his bakery on 500 South, next to the sandwich shop.

      Delete
  7. These are Sarah's favorite cookies! Yummm........

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been having classes all winter and I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMAZING!!! I made these last night (used AP flour but replaced 2T per cup w/ cornstarch) and brought them to work - empty container by noon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these last night and took them into work... everyone was RAVING about them!!! BIG HIT!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    My all time favorite cookie at Cutlers is the chocolate/mint one. Do you have a recipe for that one????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, Glad you liked this recipe. It is one of my favorite! I do not have the mint recipe, but will talk to Curt about teaching this one next time around. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Where are the classes taught? I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachelle, The classes are taught at Cutler's Bakery on 500 South in Bountiful. Check back here for notices, or on A Bountiful Kitchen's Facebook page.

      Delete
  12. How do you find out when the classes are taught?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, I post on this site when classes are being offered. I also post a notice on A Bountiful Kitchen's Facebook page.

      Delete
  13. I made these this week and my husband declared them his "favorite dessert EVER"! Thank you for your yummy recipes... and a new hubby fav :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're welcome Erica, glad the hubs liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just curious. Why no substitution on the Reese's Peanut Butter chips? Can I use another peanut butter chips? Maybe there's no better PB chips than Reese's? Not that I want to substitute, I just like to know why. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, When Curt taught a class on making this cookie, he said they have tried many types of peanut butter chips and Reese's was the very best. Can't argue with that! Have a great day :)

      Delete
  16. Do you have the nutritional information on these cookies? When is your next class? Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing! I am from Utah and adore Cutler's bakery but never get to go any more. Would you mind if I shared the recipe on my blog?

    www.cookieclinic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kelly, Thanks I love this cookie too. A perfect blend of peanut butter and chocolate in a cookie! Yes, YOu are welcome to share this on your blog.
    happy baking :)
    Si

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your blog! I've made these cookies twice now. They are so easy. I thought they would be much harder. They turned out so yummy and several people have asked me for the recipe. I sent them all to your blog. I would like to post this recipe on my own blog with a link back to your blog if that is alright with you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can you tell me how many cookies this recipes makes? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where do you sign up for these classes you have mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirst, the classes have been offered at Cutlers on 500 South in Bountiful. When class is available, I post it on my Instagram and Facebook page, so be sure to follow there!

      Delete
  22. What a great, easy recipe. Can’t wait to try.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...