8/2/13

It's that time of year...Chocolate Zucchini Cake




On Tuesday, my friend Wendy gave me a couple of zucchini from her garden. I promised to make something yummy with the gift and post it.
The plan: to make something semi-healthy.
What got in the way of the plan: while out for my morning walk the next day, Melinda told me she made some of Laurie's Chocolate Zucchini Cake. So much for the plan.
Here it is. New and improved. Originally posted here (Aug 2010).
With frosting, this time around, for good measure.



Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Adapted a bit from Laurie Cutler by ABK
print recipe

½ cup butter
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ½ cups flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups zucchini, grated*
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup chocolate chips
Whipping cream, or frosting (recipe below)

Cream together butter, oil and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, beat. Add flour, cocoa, cloves, cinnamon, soda and salt and beat for additional 2 minutes. Add grated or blended zucchini and buttermilk. Blend well. Fold in chocolate chips.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake at 325 for 45 minutes (check with a toothpick).
Best when served slightly warm with fresh whipped cream or top with frosting (below).

Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt
milk or cream to thin, about 2-3 tablespoons
Beat all ingredients with mixer in bowl until smooth. Frost cake when cooled.

Tips:
-You may also bake in two-9 or 10 inch pie plates.
*This recipe has been altered a bit from the original. The original recipe calls for peeling and seeding the zucchini, I leave the peel on and don't seed. And I usually pulverize the zucchini in a blender with about 1/4 cup of water. The total amount used in the recipe is 2 cups, meaning I place the zucchini in a blender with about 1/4 cup of water and pulverize the zucchini until it looks like baby food. Then I measure out 2 cups. If it turns out to be a little less than 2 cups, no big deal. 1 3/4 is fine! Also, I've increased the cocoa in the cake from 3 tablespoon (original recipe) to 6 tablespoons.

5 comments:

  1. Si, thanks for posting this recipe! I made it, using a bundt pan, and baked it in my grill. Yep, my grill. It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's getting creative with cooking methods! Curious, did you use your grill to avoid turning on the oven inside? And thanks for letting us know about the bundt pan option as well!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I totally did it to avoid the oven. (Hate turning it on when it's 90+ outside).

      FYI--the grill stayed about 350 and the cake took 50 mins. to bake in the bundt.

      Delete
  2. Made it, SO good! I was worried it might be dry or otherwise very "cakey" but it was deliciously moist and was gobbled up served with chocolate whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, Glad you loved this. It is one of our favorites! I love that you are so young, and yet constantly cooking! Hooray for young people cooking!!!

      Delete

Tell us how you really feel...