11/20/13

ABK Pie Roundup!




Pie.
The very best part of Thanksgiving.
Here's a roundup of pie photos and recipes from ABK.
Come back this weekend for a step-by-step tutorial on how to make The Best Apple Pie (and crust).
Ever.





Let's start with crust. You cannot make a delicious pie with store bought crust.
Here's a link to my favorite recipe for the Best Basic Flaky Pie Crust. It's the only crust recipe I  100% recommend. It's been my favorite for over thirty years. It is, hands down, the best recipe I have found for pie crust. Ok, I'll stop now.




This is my signature pie. The one that is eaten up first every year. 
The one everyone asks- "you're making that pie, right?" 
Baked up three of these last week. Here are some pics...


Want another look? I thought so. 
That flaky crust? It's not going to happen with stuff from the grocery freezer. 




From Food and Wine Magazine in 2011. 
Vanilla custard, chocolate custard, bananas, whipped cream. 
All nestled in a home made graham cracker crust. Heaven in a pie. 




























Make it with either fresh or frozen berries. Step by step for the lattice top.
Grant's favorite pie. 
Every. Single.Year. 



























You haven't had this pie? Better than a chocolate chip cookie. 
'Cause it's baked in a homemade pie shell. Kid and adult favorite. 







Another one I make every Thanksgiving. Refreshing and a nice change from the 
usual pies. Make it in a Springform pan for a crust that stands up nicely around the filling.




Jake requests a chocolate pie every year. This one is our favorite. The crust is made of crushed Oreos, graham crackers and the dynamic duo: butter and sugar. 
Unbelievably delicious.




Another Food and Wine Magazine winner. 
This pie has an incredible meringue topping that tastes like a gigantic home made marshmallow. 
Oh my.




























My SIL makes this pie every year. We love it. We hide pieces in the fridge before guests get to our house so we can have a piece after our pie party is over. 



I'll add a few more pies as I take photos and post recipes.
These are just a few of our favorites.
So many pies, so little time.
What's your all time favorite pie?




6 comments:

  1. Si I am loving your pie round up. A few are new to me. I must try the chocolate banana cream. Have you had Dodo's banana cream cheese pie? You need to try it if you already haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chocolate Banana Cream is amazing. No I have not tried the banana cream cheese pie at the Dodo, but I'll order it next time I'm there! Thanks for the tip :)

      Delete
  2. Crying on the inside and outside. Can't believe I won't get some of Sheri's pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me homesick, Si! We're dealing with it by having our own pie night in Greendale, Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...