8/20/08

World's Best Buttermilk Biscuits





One of my favorite food memories is sitting at the dinner table eating my Mom's baking powder biscuits. It was always stew with biscuits in our family. Like cookies and milk. Pb&j. Rice and okazu. Uh- that's Japanese for stir fry. Anyway- You get the picture. When we were first married I found a recipe in the Salt Lake Tribune for Buttermilk Biscuits. I have never found a recipe I love more than this one in 26 years...butter (no margarine allowed) and homemade jam or honey are must have before baking. Or at least by the time they come out of the oven!


Buttermilk Biscuits
print recipe

2 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
5 Tablespoons Crisco ( I like butter flavor best)
1 Cup Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Sift all dry ingredients into bowl. Actually, I never sift, but that's what the original recipe says. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk all at once. Stir until dough follows fork around bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Pat out to about 3/4 to 1" thick. Cut out into circles with either a glass or biscuit cutter. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of your daughter Corrine's cooking and since she says all her good recipes come from you, I guess a big "Thank You" is due to you! I look forward to trying some of your delicious recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking powder biscuits take me back to my junior high school foods classes ... Mrs.Brandon, Deer Lodge Junior High, Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. My Mom as a perfect cook, but Mrs. Brandon inspired me to graduate in Home Economics, and to love food, cloth and everything creative. She, my friend Debbie Nielsen, my sister in law Kathy and now Sy! I love this recipe and when I want comfort food, like this morning, baking powder biscuits work! The beginning of a perfect day! P.S. Laurie, chocolate cake, has always been an inspiration also.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...