9/28/08

Italian Apricot Marinade or How to make something out of a flop


The other day, I went up to Logan, to visit Brookie. It was a beautiful autumn day. The air was crisp, the sky was blue, the leaves were turning colors...On my way back, I stopped in Brigham City to buy some peaches.






This is a Blue Hubbard squash. I was going to buy one for fall decorating...now I am looking for a recipe using Blue Hub's for pumpkin pie.

Look at these sunflowers!
I bought peaches, peaches, and more peaches. And a sweet friend gave me even more peaches! I froze, canned, and made jam for two days. Every time I put up fruit, I get in the middle of it and wonder, WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF??? It's a huge mess, takes a lot of time, and I'm sure it's cheaper to just buy a case at the store. But my family loves canned peaches, and homemade jam. And for a day, or two, or until I am tired of having the jars take up space on my kitchen counter, I can look at the finished product, and feel good. I heard a talk/speech this past weekend about the joy creating can bring us. I love this quote from D. Uchtdorf - " As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you, but also the world within you." It's true. Take a few peaches, add some sugar and - Tadah! See below. Words of wisdom, for sure.
Peaches and peach jam.
A few weeks ago, I put up some apricot jam. I was working away, feeling pretty good about myself...when I realized something was not quite right. After finishing 3 of the 4 batches, I realized I had doubled the pectin, AND only put in half of the fruit required. What was I suppose to do with all of those jars of double pectin jam???? Uh- how about apricot marinade/glaze for chicken. Here it is. Come on over if you need any apricot jam for this recipe. Really - it's calling your name.



Italian Apricot Glaze

1 cup Italian Dressing
1 cup apricot jam
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
fresh cracked pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Marinate chicken in about 1 cup of sauce in refrigerator for a couple of hours. Discard extra sauce from pan. Grill chicken over medium heat on barbecue until done, basting chicken with remaining sauce.

1 comment:

  1. I feel so much better knowing Si has flops just like me! I'll be up later for apricot jam.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...