9/24/08

Chicken Tortilla Soup




It's soup time! Finally the weather has cooled down enough to make soup. I love the flavors in Cafe Rio's Chicken Soup. After experimenting with lots of white chili, (not my fav, because it has too mucho meat and beans) tortilla soup recipes and using Cafe Rio's soup as a model, I came up with this recipe. I should have saved myself some time by just GOOGLE-ing their soup name. Their guarded recipe tastes really similar to this one. The recipes I looked at call for slow cooking the chicken. This is a quickie version...It's brothy (is that a word?), with lots of vegetables and chicken. If you really like the flavor of their soup, mash an avocado, add some garlic and onion, and put a scoop of guac in just before serving. Do not make this soup unless you have grated cheese and tortilla chips to pile on top of the soup. Ole! Yes, English is my second language.


Chicken Tortilla Soup
A Bountiful Kitchen
print recipe

1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breast halves, skinless, boneless
3 cups water
1 whole large sweet onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 small can mild green chilies
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 can Rotel brand tomato, lime juice and cilantro
1 can small white beans
1 quart carton chicken broth
3 teaspoons chicken flavoring or bullion cubes
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 fresh lime, juice and zest
cilantro

Heat olive oil in pan. Add chicken and cook until light brown on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Add 3 cups water to pan, cover and simmer chicken on medium high heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. In same pan, add onion,carrots, chilies, garlic, cumin and Rotel to juices, and add enough broth from carton until vegetables are covered. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Chop the chicken. Add chicken, beans, corn and lime juice to vegetable mixture in pan with all remaining broth. If additional chicken flavor is needed, add some chicken flavoring to taste. Salt and Pepper. Garnish with fresh cilantro. 8 servings.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sy, for posting these recipes. (This is Erin's sister, Kelly, by the way). I am "challenged" shall we say in the kitchen and cooking for my family is a huge mental hurdle that I attempt to jump occasionally. My problem is very picky eaters and not enough mental reward when I do cook. Anyway, your recipes are awesome and I am going to try some! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Si,
    I like how I thought you posted two new recipes, but it's just the same recipe under two different names. You are the tricky one. I love to read the recipes and then imagine you actually making one for me. Fantasies are sweet.
    Love ya
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...