9/4/08

Meatloaf Smeatloaf







"Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beatloaf. I hate meatloaf."  Every time I tell my kids we are having meatloaf for dinner, one of my boys recites this quote from the movie "A Christmas Story". Actually, the boys like meatloaf. I was never a big fan, until I tried this recipe. I found it in a cookbook a few years back. Last week, fall was in the air, so I mixed up a couple of loaves. It is always moist, and goes well with rice or potatoes and green veggies for an easy dinner!






















Meatloaf Smeatloaf
print recipe

Meatloaf:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup chopped onion (if omitting green pepper, use 1 cup onion)
½ cup chopped bell pepper (optional)
1 egg, lightly beaten
8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
½ cup quick-cooking oats

Topping:
 1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Meat:
Mix all meat loaf ingredients well and place in a baking dish. Shape into a loaf.

Topping:
Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf.

Bake for 1 hour.
After removing from oven, run a table knife around the edges. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan and serve immediately.



5 comments:

  1. I am so excited to make this for my cute husband!! Thanks so much for making this blog I check it all the time for the newest tasty recipies!!

    p.s. you looked great last night, thanks so much for coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. momsie - how long do i leave it in the oven??

    ReplyDelete
  3. momasita,
    i made this last night and tried to eat it right out of the oven and it fell apart! but then it set up after it sat there, when i dished up seconds :) i didn't have mustard in my kitchen so i subsituted worcestershire sauce and it was pretty good! maybe that's why it fell apart a little, worcestershire sauce is a little more runny than mustard. less is more. anyway. please share your thoughts on why it was falling apart at first...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really moist meatloaf. So I usually let it sit for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan and serving. I like the flavor of Worcestershire sauce, but think in this recipe the mustard is a better option!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Paula Deens!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...