9/20/08

Pan Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies



Another one of Tessa's great recipes! I love these treats. If you love sugar cookies, you'll love them too. They are less hassle than making traditional sugar cookies, where you roll and cut out shapes and then frost. These cookies are made and frosted in one pan, then cut up all at once. We take these to lots of events- missionary farewells, homecomings, family parties... They are also great for luncheons. Just cut them into generous squares, then cut again on the diagonal, for smaller more "lady like" portions (sure).



Pan Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
Tessa Reinemer

1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 ½ cups flour

Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar. Add egg, almond extract and vanilla, blend until smooth. Mix in all of the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Grease a jelly roll pan with cooking spray. Spread the dough into the pan with a long knife. I usually sprinkle some flour on the dough, so it is easier to spread. You can also use a mini rolling pin (floured) to spread the dough. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Cook just until golden brown.
Let cool completely.

Frosting:

½ cup butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
dash of salt
milk or half and half
food coloring, if desired

Cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla and salt. Add milk a little at a time, until the frosting is spreading consistency. I add food coloring for Christmas, Valentines Day, etc. In the Spring, I sometimes add a little lemon flavoring and color the frosting yellow.



3 comments:

  1. Si.. food coloring..? I didn't think I'd read that! flashback to the hater post on food coloring in POSLM brownie recipe.. Or maybe that was just because of mint.

    Yes, I know your life story through your blog haha:) My blog is howtosavealifeguard.blogspot.com

    Great seeing you last night! Mccall and I were talking about how wonderful you guys are. You made us feel so happy! Thanks for everything, always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the best idea! What a time saver. Also, they are delicious. A yummy and soft sugar cookie. I put red and green sprinkles over the whole top (after frosting) and then cut. I'm giving them to my neighbors for Christmas. The recipe makes a lot! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An update to my other comment. I added 1/2 tsp. of good quality nutmeg to the dough w/ the dry ingredients. Loved it. It's my new favorite & the kids love it, too. I've been asked for the recipe several times, so I just tell everyone about your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...