12/5/08

Lemon Chicken Soup



If you love chicken soup, you have to try this recipe. It's chicken soup with a rich, yummy twist. This recipe comes from my dear friend Barbara, who is a fab cook. Barbara is a funny lady, amazing mom, raises UNBELIEVABLY talented children, is a spiritual giant (really), has great style...I could go on and on. Anyway...I have been wanting to try this soup forever, and finally did yesterday. It was SO good. I made it once for a teacher luncheon at Bountiful High, then made another batch for our family. Everyone in the fam ate it up and loved it. Even the picky eaters. Yes Stephen, that's you.

Lemon Chicken Soup

12 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup butter
1 pint whipping cream
8-10 oz egg noodles "Country Pasta" brand is best
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups cold water
2 cup chicken, cooked, chopped
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning or "Fine's Herbs"
(I used lots of garlic salt and Mrs Dash)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup fresh mushrooms, optional

In small saucepan, combine 1 cup chicken broth, lemon juice and butter. Bring to boil, and let reduce to about 1/2 cup, takes about 1/2 hour to 45 mins. After reduced, take off heat, stir in cream and set aside. While the mixture is reducing, cook the chicken with spices and chop the vegetables. In a large pot, heat remaining 11 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil, then add vegetables and noodles and cook for about 13-15 minutes. Blend flour and water and whisk into soup. Bring to boil once again. Reduce heat to low. Add cream mixture and chicken and spices to taste. Heat through, but don't boil.

Barb's note: Country Pasta is sold at Dicks, Costco, Smiths. Serves 6 hungry people or 8 polite people.

Si's note:
I used 1/2 pint of cream and 1/2 pint of half and half.

1 comment:

  1. This is my absolute favorite soup. I could eat it all day long. I made it yesterday and the cream (i used all half & half) separated in little clumps. Why did it do that? I also would say that it serves more like 12 people. I always have a ton leftover, and I get to eat it for days.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...