9/23/11

Pico de Gallo



Final installment of our "Cafe Rio Style"recipes.
Why is this called Pico de Gallo? In Spanish, Pico means spicy or beak. And gallo means rooster. So Pico de Gallo literally translated, is a spicy rooster, or beak rooster?  Or maybe it's spicy beak of a rooster? Grant (who speaks fluent Spanish)  and I had a discussion about this. He says the words have a double meaning. Still doesn't make sense to me... I'm wondering why tomatoes, jalapeno and onions are (translated) "spicy beak rooster".  Forget the economy, or why Bronco didn't wear the "Band of Brothers" t shirt  to the Utah/BYU game last Saturday, after wearing it to the first two games (what was up with that?) ,  these are the profound questions that keep me up at night.
When making this salad, Pico is like the frosting on a cake. It takes less than five minutes to chop and mix up. Pico + chips = my dinner, two nights in a row. YUM.
Hurry and make some before the fresh tomatoes disappear...



Pico de Gallo
A Bountiful Kitchen
print recipe

4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 small onion, about 1 cup chopped, white or sweet variety
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, optional
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl.
Best if made at least one hour before serving.
Serve at room temperature.

3 comments:

  1. It looks godo ..spicy because of jalapenos I think:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I speak spanish, but I'm from Chile and I don't know for real what does it means.

    Now I'm following your blog, it's great!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us how you really feel...